Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Few Thoughts...

I read Elder Holland's talk regarding our children. There are several sections that stuck out to me, and so I'll just go through and comment briefly on them:

Paragraph 6:
If the Savior felt so much worry over the children and the evil influences they face, then we need to feel at least a portion of that. I think we can be too complacent; we can be more vigilant and earnest in protecting and strengthening our kids against the bad influences that are/will come to them. We especially need to be praying for them every day.

Paragraph 10:

This reminds me of Bishop Haws' counsel to our ward, to bear our testimony to our children every day. You do a much better job at this than I do. But we both can do better; let's try to do this every day, focusing on these areas that Elder Holland mentions: our devotion the Christ, the Restoration, the reality of living prophets and apostles.

Paragraph 12:
Wow. This one really hit me. It's the one that starts off "I think some parents..." I feel like he is describing me here. I am active and go to meetings, but do I "convey powerful heartfelt convictions" to my kids? The remedy for the situation he describes in this paragraph is found in paragraph 17 and 18.

Paragraph 17/18: I love there paragraphs because they tell us exactly what we can do. I especially was struck by a few of the suggestions he makes:
1-Priesthood blessings. I think we have some opportunities coming up to teach our kids about this (Andrea's surgery and the upcoming school year).
2-Ask ourselves what out children know from us personally-find areas that we could be better about mentioning in everyday life (I'm thinking of things like tithing, Word of Wisdom, answers to prayers, etc.)
3-He asks if our children know that we love the scriptures and if they see us reading and marking and clinging to them daily. I was thinking it is hard to get scripture study in without the girls around, so maybe I need to do it when they are around, so they can see that it is important to me.
4-Have they heard us pray for them "out of nothing more than sheer parental love?" I think this is huge. I think we should try to include the kids, individually, in every single prayer that we offer, both family, personal, and couple. I think this will help them know that we love them, but also help us love them more.

And finally, Elder Holland says, "God will send aid to no one more readily than He will send it to a child - and to the parent of a child." Let's always remember this. I can't believe the help that I receive as I pray about specific problems relating to the kids.

Anyway, great talk. I'm excited to hear what you have to say about it!


No comments: