Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Challenging Couple of Days

Okay, so maybe I won't be doing this every single day. But you haven't missed too much. Friday night I went with Greg and Eric to see Boston. The concert started at 7:45 and was done by 9:15. Wow. I guess they are pretty old...They were pretty good, but all in all it was a forgettable concert. I suppose the most memorable aspect of it was that Eric had run out of deodorant that day and wasn't wearing any, and we all suffered. So on the way home we stopped at WalGreens and I got them each a stick of deodorant, my treat.

Saturday morning we went to JC Penneys ('we' being Mom, Melinda, Andrea, Natalie, Ethan, and myself). They were having massive sales and we got some pretty cute stuff for the girls. You'd have been proud of me. I was very selective and didn't buy things just because they were on sale. We ended up with four shirts, four pairs of shoes, two pairs of shorts, and a dress, all for about $55. Amazing! Here are the girls wearing their new fashions:


As usual, Andrea strikes a pose, while
Natalie slumps over because she doesn't like the camera.





Andrea wearing her new shoes with her Family Necklace she made in primary today.

Then began nap time. Wow. I sometimes question my ability as a parent. It took me over an hour and a half to get Natalie down, and Natalie was screaming for the majority of that (you know, that really high pitched, glass-shattering scream). But I finally got them down just about the time it was time to go to the lake.

Greg's friends' families all got together for a BBQ at Eagle Island. It was...awkward? Well, of course it was awkward; we're Millers. But the food was good. The girls had fun swimming in the lake until a little boy came over and dumped a bottle of sand on Natalie's head. I didn't see it because Eric was watching the girls at the time. (He said he almost beat the kid.) So they came back to the picnic area and played frisbee and played on the playground.






(Natalie is wearing a swimming suit underneath her shirt...
I dont generally let her run around in public without pants.)




Andrea could do almost the whole set of monkey bars by herself.



Andrea on top of the climbing wall



Natalie had a hard time getting on the climbing wall...



But once she got on it, she zipped right up to the top all by herself.



Natalie was eager to help by carrying her backpack
full of towels and swimsuits when it was time to go.








Last night started off well. We had baths, scriptures, prayer, and the girls went down very easily. But it was a false beginning. I was up with Ethan and Natalie from about 12 :45 until about 3:30 or so. Natalie was just wide awake. At one point we were laying there, and out of the blue she said, "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, Mommy!" Another time, she got up, got out the Cheerios, put some in a baggie and brought them back to bed. I must have been dozing when she did this because all the sudden she was sitting beside me, munching on Cheerios. "Want some, Mommy?" No, no thanks.


So this morning was pretty rough. I slept a couple of hours while Greg and Eric played with the girls. (Eric is impressed with Andrea's Matching Game abilities.) My mom got the kids totally ready and we were still late because I couldn't find Andrea's shoes, and Sacrament meeting was...a trial. But I did have a small victory: Natalie wouldn't whisper during Sacrament meeting, and so I asked her if she wanted to have a time out. She said yes. So I took her out and we had a time out where she had to sit on my lap. I took her back in, and a little while later she was getting loud and so I decided she needed another time out. As I was taking her out, she said, "I don't want a time out!!" HooRAY!!! I knew I was finally getting through to her.

I took Natalie and Ethan home from church early today so Natalie could get a nap. After Andrea walked home from church with Greg and Eric, she took a 'nap' with Grandpa out on the hammock. For the past hour she has been playing Barbies, the matching game, and Paper, Rock, Scissors with Eric. He is so patient with the girls...he's going to be a good daddy :)


Well, we love you, and wish you were here. Go reserve those tickets so you can come see us!!

1 comment:

Anders said...

The two pictures of Natalie, at the top of the playground equiptment and with the backpack on, are the best I've seen of her. She is really growing up. What a cutie!